Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Weald and Downland Open Air Museum

The Weald and Downland Open Air Museum.

It's a fascinating place to visit, with buildings from many eras of English history reconstructed for visitors to examine and explore.

One thing I realised is that I would actually quite like to live in such a place, with high open ceilings with exposed timbers, timber floors, and the smell of the materials used to build it. And also, they can't be any more draughty or leaky than where I'm living now..

Tip: visit the Tudor Kitchen. The food available to sample was delicious, and I wanted to sit down and eat a whole meal of it. If it had been available to buy I'd have been very happy.

Many thanks to the staff for looking after my motorcycle gear while I visited. (Though a couple of proper motorcycle parking slots would be good: a level surface not covered with deep, loose gravel!)


































Candle making.

Wool basket.



Herb drying.


View from the bedroom.




This isn't quite as posh as Ravenseat.







About seven people would sleep in here.

Interior cutaway, showing the construction method.


Carpenter's shop.


Meow.