Friday, 4 July 2014

NYC: New York harbour, and The Battery

I thought this set of New York photos would be suitable for the patriotic 4th of July holiday.

I am a HUGE fan of the game Deus Ex, which has large parts set in New York (Liberty Island, Battery park, Hell's Kitchen, LaGuardia airport and Brooklyn naval yards, to be precise). Therefore, my trip to New York was also something of a pilgrimage to see those places in the flesh. The real thing didn't disappoint.

Any tourist visit to the city is NOT complete without a trip on the Staten Island ferry. Free for all, this ferry cruises across New York harbour to Staten island, and once there you hop back on to return to Manhattan (because I don't think any tourist has ever visited Staten island?). This takes you right past the Statue of Liberty. I was fortunate enough to have picked just the right ferry to do all this at sunset..


At the same moment as what..?





Snap.












Photography is 70% luck, and 30% having the skill to capitalise on that luck. This photograph is a good demonstration of that. I was simply in the right place at the right time and had the presence of mind to attach the right lens to my digital image recording machine.


Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges.

Lower Manhattan before the lights went on.



This will be a familiar scene to players of Deus Ex.

It is a monument to sailors who died in WWII.

My trip has definitely made me want to play Deus Ex again..