Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Bob Symes goes to the shunting yard in the sky..

Today was a sad day, as I heard that Bob Symes died yesterday.

Bob was a true great. I knew him when growing up as a face on the BBC, talking about modelling and engineering. Later in life, purely by chance I ended up living very close to his beautiful Surrey home. I was very fortunate to get to know Bob, invited in to his house to eat with him, and talk with him, and I was humbled by his compassion, intelligence, integrity and wit. He had fire and passion about many diverse subjects, and it was a privilege talking with him.

I managed to attend several of his steam days, all of which helped raise funds for Children in Need.

Sadly, the BBC have not mentioned a word of his passing.

Here is a gallery of one of his steam days, and here is a gallery of his 90th birthday party, last year.

RIP Bob. You will be missed by many.