Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Malham on a winter's night

I don't usually say much about how I took the photos, or processed them, but I will here. Most of these were taken at 10mm, f5, ISO 200, and exposures of between 4-8 minutes. In post processing I have desaturated the colours down from what my camera recorded, but I did this because I wanted to get the same look as what I saw, not the camera: the human eye sees night scenes with this kind of low colour.

It was quite an interesting experience. After hiking to Janet's foss I was hit by a mini blizzard which made whiteout conditions for a few minutes. Then I walked up to Gordale scar, which was quite full of water from all the recent wet weather. I got wet feet as I scrambled up in the dark to a prominent rock which was big enough for me to sit on.

And I sat on it, until the very fortunate (and purely unplanned) circumstance of the moon illuminating the gorge happened: I sat watching the line of moonlight creep across, and then I started shooting, for nearly an hour.

Sitting on a rock, in the moonlight, in subzero conditions, with torrents of water cascading down on both sides of me.

Probably a bit of a mad way to spend an evening really.

Janet's foss. A fairy queen is supposed to live behind the falls. In this photo, it does seem you can make something out just behind the curtain of water.

I lit the waterfall with the small torch I always carry with me.
I like this photo a lot because a quite intense blizzard came just as I was taking it. You can see the blurring from where my lens began to be coated with snowflakes. Also, in this one I decided to keep myself in it: the light to the top left of the falls was me, standing on the edge, waving my small torch over the falls to give it some lighting.

The short blizzard gave everything a thin coating of white. Here, at the entrance to Gordale scar. (Note: it really did look almost this bright to the eye: the moon was very bright.)


Gordale scar. Lit solely by the moonlight (which I had waited patiently for).